Friday, August 1, 2014

How to be a good friend--to a guy or a girl

Hello readers of the great M&M!!!

I've been thinking about friendship a lot lately, and what it means to be a good friend.  There's a lot of ways to be a good friend, but some people just don't know how.  That is why I am writing this post.

I'm a girl, obviously.  I have a lot of girl and guy friends, and in my extensive experience in dealing with all types of people, I feel like I've gathered quite a few useful tips and tricks that have helped me be a good friend.  So since I have absolutely no life at the moment, I thought I'd take the time to write them down.

1)  Remember things.  This applies to birthdays, hang-out time, and other important things your friend might have told you about that they wanted you to remember.  If you don't think you'll remember, write it on the calendar, put it in your phone, whatever.  Just don't forget!

2)  Be encouraging, but be real.  Don't be a "Debbie Downer" that constantly points out the negative things your friend does.  But also, don't be so constantly encouraging that they never hear what they're doing that's hurting themselves or other people.  "Wounds from a friend can be trusted" (not sure where that's found, but it's in the Bible somewhere...maybe Psalms?)  So if they can't take a little friendly, loving criticism from a friend, then I don't know what to tell ya.

3)  Become a mind-reader.  This applies especially to girlfriends.  Guys, I'm sorry.  Females expect you to always know if they're not OK, even over a text message.  It's not fair, I know, but that's how it is.  Girls are probably a bit better at judging if something's bothering their friends, but not all of them.  You kind of have to become Sherlock...I know for me I know how my friends text me, and if they deviate from that, then something might be up, and I ask.  9 times out of 10 there's something going on.  Just try to pick up on your friends' feelings.  They may want to talk about something, but they don't want to bring it up.

4)  Don't be afraid to tease.  This needs to be taken with a grain of salt, because not everyone can take teasing.  I have a very dry, sarcastic, almost derogatory way of teasing and joking around, and if someone was unprepared for it, they might take it as me deliberately being a jerk.  I'm not, but they don't know that.  If your friends are aware that you're teasing them, they might actually enjoy it, and give it back.  Just about everyone appreciates a sense of humor.  :)

5)  Make memories.  Guys, this is the most important thing in any friendship.  Making memories together is what keeps friendships solid.  My best friends are the ones I have the most memories with.  All-nighters, trips to amusement parks, even being in class together.  All the time you spend with your friends is one more memory that will hold you close together.

Well that's all for now.  I hope you enjoyed my little post, and, as usual, I encourage you to comment below with questions, suggestions for new posts, whatever.  Please feel free to share any of my blog posts you would like.  I appreciate the traffic. ;)

Also, please keep me in your prayers, as I have a lot of work to get done so I can start dual-enrolling at a college this fall.  I've got a long road ahead of me, even after graduation, and it's all got to come together before November.  By the time I turn 18, I'll hopefully have applied to at least 5 different colleges and universities so I can start my journey to law school.  :)

Have a great weekend!  Stay safe and don't do anything you'll regret 10 years from now.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment