Saturday, August 16, 2014

Frenemy...or Secret Admirer?

OK guys, here's another attempt at an advice post for ya.  This was just something that popped into my head on the spot, so I hope you all like it.  :)

So a lot of people have what they call a "Frenemy".  I have a couple myself.  Here's a quick definition of a "frenemy":  Someone that you pretend to hate but you really don't.  My first frenemy was a guy that was like a male version of me.  So we clashed A LOT.  Always arguing and making mean fun of each other, and to be completely honest, there were times I wondered if I didn't hate him for real.

Sometimes though, these frenemies are a source of enjoyment.  Harassing someone and having them give it back can be quite enjoyable.  I thrive on it, actually.  My favorite frenemy at the moment goes to my youth group, and we're...beyond mean.  But I enjoy it so much.  Just seeing his reactions to the things I say, and seeing how pleased he is when he gets me back just gives me a rush.  But this is where I have to ask the question:  when does the fun and games turn into something more serious?

I've heard from a couple different sources that this guy from my youth group might actually be crushing on me.  Of course, I think of him as just a common frenemy, right?  So what do you do with that?  Well...here's my advice.

First, don't stop being you.  If you suddenly change how you interact with him, he'll know something's up.  Girls, guys are not stupid.  They know.  If you treat him like you hate his guts one day and totally ignore him the next, he's gonna wonder.  Especially if he really does like you.  He might wonder if you took the banter personally and are now really mad at him, or he might wonder what kind of explosive confrontation will take place and when.  Keep the banter up.  Keep pushing each other around.  Whatever you've been doing, keep doing it!

Second, proceed with caution.  Does he have your number? Email address?  Are you friends on Facebook?  Whatever means of communication you have with him, don't encourage feelings you don't return.  He may not even like you, but if you've heard from someone--especially another guy--that he likes you, he probably does.  Unless you feel the same way, do not, I repeat DO NOT lead him on and encourage him.  That's not bantering and insulting.  This is a person's heart you're dealing with.  Don't be the girl that breaks his heart needlessly.  That's beyond cruel.

Finally, determine your own feelings.  Do you like him?  Is that why you're always seeking him out to harass him?  Or do you really feel nothing for him and he stays in the "frenemy-zone"?  It's ultimately up to you, but whatever you decide, your behavior toward him should follow accordingly.

So there's my shpiel on frenemies and crushes and all that stuff.  If you're a guy, this stuff still applies to you.  Don't encourage a girl's feelings if you don't feel the same.  But if you're both good, harass away.  Just be careful that you don't start a war. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment