Monday, August 11, 2014

That One Friend...

People, admit it.  You all have that one person in your life.  Can you see him girls?  He's cute, funny, smart, and he's like your brother.  Guys?  She's pretty, awkward sometimes, but she's sweet and smart... The problem is not with them, it's with everyone else.  They all think you two are made for each other, and no matter what you say, they will never believe that you're just friends.  I have a couple guys like this in my life, and my problem is that I can't keep a straight face while my parents tease me about them.  So that encourages them even more.  How do you deal with these people who just don't understand?

It may seem like a hopeless situation, but fear not...I think I have a solution...

Or part of one.

If you know in your heart that this guy/girl is just a friend, then really, who cares what other people think?  Well, obviously you do.  It makes the friendship awkward for you, and you feel like you can't talk about your friend around the people that tease you.  I know how stressful that last bit is, especially if the teasers are people you'd like to get advice from.

One thing you can do is ask these people to stop teasing you.  I've done that with my mom.  Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and say, "Look, we're just friends.  That's all we're gonna be, so I'd really appreciate it if you'd stop teasing me about him/her.  It puts a lot of unwanted pressure on my end of the friendship."  Sometimes being honest and straight-up with people is the best thing to do.

Another thing you can do is just ignore them.  Or shoot them the death glare if you're one of those people blessed with the ability to keep a straight face.  Sometimes non-verbal communication works better.  "Actions speak louder than words" as the old saying goes.

At the end of the day, though, you can't really change anyone.  If they want to tease you, they're going to, and there's nothing you can do about it.  But if you and your friend both understand that you're just friends, who cares what the rest of the world thinks.  It's important to have friends of the opposite sex.  They can offer a lot of insights and meet a lot of needs that friends of the same gender can't.  My guy friends are practically drama-free, and the conversations we have are often more uplifting and they bring a smile to my face every time.  I love my girlfriends, and it's important that I keep them in my life, but I do enjoy yuckin' it up with the guys as well.  So don't let anyone get in the way of you and your friend.  If you enjoy each other's company, then continue to do so.  If it's meant to be more than friends, then let it happen because you both want it; not because you were teased into it.

I don't know if that helped you guys, but there it is.  I hope you enjoyed my little musing and please do share this if it helped you.  Just as a quick side note, thank you for getting me to 1,000 views!!!  I was so excited when I checked it and it had gone from 999 to 1004.  You guys are the best.  :) I appreciate the shoutouts I've gotten, and the shares and the whatevers to get me here.  It really means a lot because I want to make a difference.  If I help just one person it's a huge mission accomplished.  So leave me ideas for future posts.  See you all later, and have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment