Monday, August 18, 2014

How to determine friendship levels--how close should you get?

OK I know I just posted two days ago, but I just redid the blog, so it's a WHOLE new look! :D I'm quite pleased with it, and I just had to write something to add to my beautiful new blog.  It's like when you get a fresh coat of paint in a room and you just wanna look at it?  Yeah.  That's how I feel.

So I had an idea for a new post, and I thought I'd share it before I forgot it.  This post is inspired by my friend Rachel.  (And she has no idea I'm even writing this.)  ;) I was thinking about friends, and people to invest your time, emotions, and life into.  And she popped into my head.

Rachel and I have been friends our whole lives.  I mean seriously...we have pictures of us playing together as babies, toddlers, etc. complete with numerous selfies and even our senior pictures were done together.

How do you choose someone to be a part of your life for that long?  How do you know if the friendship will last?  Well, you don't.  Sometimes they find you.  And really, we'll never know if friendships will last because we can't see the future.  Here's a little guide I use to determine my level of friendship with someone.  It's actually a series of questions.  It could also be used to test a guy for relationship material.  I use it for that too.  OK here we go.

First, questions about how you view them:

What are the things I enjoy most about them?  Pick maybe three to five things you really like about that person.  And I mean really like.  Not just things that are positive.  Because sometimes we don't like positive traits.  For example, someone can be really nice, and that's not bad, but sometimes people can be too nice.  For me personally, I like someone with a little sass.  You may not like someone who's willing to engage in a battle of sarcasm with you.  That's fine.  Like I said, things you like.

What are the things I hate about them?  No one is perfect, and you have to recognize that your new friend isn't either.  You need to be able to see their weaknesses.  In any relationship--I don't care if it's friends or boyfriends or girlfriends or whatever--there are things about both people that need to be addressed.  I don't care who you are, you have issues that the other person is going to notice.  You will drive them crazy in some manner or another.  It's just humanity.

Next, questions about they view you:

Can they handle your good side?  And by this I mean the crazy that we all have buried deep inside that comes out when you've had too much caffeine or when you get really excited about something.  I'm pretty level-headed, but I still cut loose and have a good time every once in a while.  Can this person handle you when you're going crazy?  If they can't...........

Can they handle your bad side?  This is the rebel, the devil, the demon, whatever.  Can they handle and accept you when you're sad?  When you're having a moment.  No one can be good and happy all the time.  Life doesn't work that way.  So your friend has to be able to understand when you have an off day.

Finally, question about the two of you:

How do you relate with each other?  If you're always arguing and being mean, then it's probably not the best idea to proceed, or get too close.  You never can tell if they're teasing you because they really hate you or if it's really in good fun.


So there's my little questionnaire.  I hope you draw some use from it, because it really does help me.  And shoutout to my girl Willeh (Rachel).  I love ya girl, and I hope we're friends forever.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment