To all my American readers, Happy Thanksgiving!
Now, I want to talk about thanksgiving today. But I'm not talking about the national holiday. I'm talking about the physical act of giving thanks. It's important that we be thankful for what we have, and I think it's a habit we often forget about these days.
Last winter I learned what being thankful really meant. We lost power for four days during a severe ice and storm. I had to learn to use my phone sparingly, appreciate the light and warmth that two candles could give to my room, and I have never been more grateful for hoodies and fuzzy socks. So when the power returned on Christmas day, and I could finally charge my phone, have the heater run on its normal schedule, and not dress like an Eskimo even though I was inside.
The common question asked around Thanksgiving is "What are you thankful for?" It's a good question, and it forces people to examine their lives and take notice of the things they take for granted. It's the one day where contentment seems to reign over every heart, and there's not a problem in the world. Cares and troubles are forgotten for a while, and there's general peace.
Now, Black Friday. In America, people will camp out overnight in front of department stores, retailers, and boutiques just to get a prime spot in line at the front of the door when stores open at 6am. Once the unlucky employee unlocks the doors, madness ensues. I've heard horror stories of associates getting trampled almost to death.
And these are the same people, who only 12 hours earlier, were gathered around a thanksgiving feast being grateful for the things they already have.
You know what else is sad? The fact that retailers have to have people come in on thanksgiving day when they should be home with their families irks me. I work in retail, and I was fortunate enough to get today off. However, many of my coworkers had to go into work to stock shelves, put up signs, and prepare for the mobs that will surely be flooding the store.
I'm not the only one who's irked. When I was at work yesterday, a lot of customers told me they were boycotting any stores open on Thanksgiving, because they believe that everyone should be able to have Thanksgiving off to be with their families.
I'm not saying don't go out on Black Friday. I'm not saying don't work holidays. What I am saying is that if you go out tomorrow and shop, be pleasant. Don't get mad if you don't get your way. Don't push and shove just so you can get what you want first. Don't treat the associates like crap just because you're having a bad day. We don't want to be there dealing with people who take out their frustrations on us. So please try to make our experience pleasant, because we're trying to make yours pleasant.
Thus endeth the rant. Have a great thanksgiving and eat lots of turkey. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment