I have a friend who is 17 years old, but for a year or so now I have considered him a man. He's not a legal adult, so this may be confusing to some. The reason for this is because he's always acted like what I consider a real man. Let me explain.
This guy has always treated every girl he encounters like she's special...he holds the door, gives up his seat, never hits back, and I've even seen him let a girl borrow his coat. He's just the perfect gentleman. And he treats every girl this way. It's not just a certain girl.
This, in my mind, is a big part of what makes him a man even though he's only 17. The other thing is he knows that if he likes a girl, he'd better make sure he can support her before he gets too serious with her. He knows what he wants to do and he's taking steps to accomplish his goals.
I think the one thing about him that amazes me the most is his respect for females. This guy and I have been friends for years, and even though his dad and his brothers will hug me, he won't. He will shake my hand 99% of the time. This puzzled me, so I asked why he did it. He told me it was because he respected me. The only times he's ever hugged me were "special occasions", if he hadn't seen me for an extended period of time, and when he knew I was upset about something.
I'm not saying every guy should do this. I don't think there's a problem with hugging a girl, but it's his respect that I admire.
I think what I'm saying is that guys should practice being gentlemanly and respectful toward every girl they meet, not just ones they like. I love it when guys are classy and sweet. My friend Tucker always says "class before swag", and that's a good life motto I think. But in addition to that, if more guys practiced chivalry, and treated their girls right, broken relationships would be less common.
So there's today's brain trail. I hope you liked it. :)
I think your friend is one in a million, Ali. He has my highest respect. Lets not forget though that to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. We love to see men like your friend--guys we can call true gentlemen. We as women, however, seem to view in one sense or another that that the term and therefore the behavior of being a "lady" as being archaic. (There's so much more that could be said along that theme.) What would you say to the girls of our generation in regards to being lady--classy rather than aggressive? :) I saw this Youtube video and thought it was kind of cool/neat. Respect or extreme? http://youtu.be/mGB56_Ipep0
ReplyDeletePerhaps another brain trail is in order my friend. :) except this time for the girls. ;)
DeleteSh'weet! ;) As always I look forward to it. :) I also do have a couple guesses as to the star of your blog post... :)
Delete