Anyways, I remember my driving partner and my instructor and I were joking about how I had to focus on driving and I couldn't check out all the cute college guys. They then proceeded to point out every. single. one. And of course I couldn't look because I was driving.
Now, I'm not going to deny that, 3 years later, there aren't a lot of attractive male specimens on campus. But there's a difference between 16 year old Ali and 19 year old Ali. Allow me to explain:
16 year old me:
- Somewhat boy crazy
- Struggling with depression and identity stuff like every teenager out there
- Basically no sense of direction
19 year old me:
- NOT boy crazy.
- I don't struggle with depression and I'm pretty secure in my identity.
- I'm now in college with a pretty good sense of where I'm headed.
- I have a serious boyfriend.
Now, as I'm on campus, I make friends with random people; sometimes only for a day but whatever. I see a lot of guys that are attractive. But you know what? Underneath all of the outward appearances, there's a PERSON. And sometimes that person is NOT attractive at all. And I'm not talking about what's under the winter clothes.
I checked out a "social media" app called Yik Yak starting in December. The thing is it's not "technically" a social media. Everyone is anonymous. So an anonymous "OP" creates the post, and then people can upvote (like) or downvote (dislike), or comment. comments are accompanied by various random icons like a sailboat, a lantern, a flashlight, etc. Now, the purpose for which I use this app is mostly for community updates. (You set a "herd" based on a location. Mine is set to MSU so wherever I am, I can always get "yaks" from MSU.) This is particularly useful because people say stuff like "It's super icy out there. Be careful." They talk about the good/bad professors, ask for help on Math problems, complain about which campus buses are running late, etc.
But of course, you have to take the good with the bad. MSU is a party school, and I'm not going to tell you that I don't get stuff asking about open frat parties, what bars are rockin', etc. People post about relationship drama, politics, and... of course... their sex lives (or lack thereof).
I'm just going to say this: some of those cute college guys? They are MESSED. UP. Like someone needs to tone down their sex drive because it is disgusting! I can't even write some of the things they say. It makes me blush. Seriously. Nasty.
So let's just say that when I see a cutie on campus, I'm in no wise tempted to say hi. Number 1 reason is because I have a wonderful boyfriend, and number 2 is because I'm half terrified he's one of those weird sex mongers from Yik Yak. Ugh.
But to keep this post from ending on a sour note. I will say that I actually made a friend in my Psychology class through Yik Yak. She is an undecided freshman from Texas, and she seems really sweet. Haven't really talked to her outside of class or texts but yeah. It's not all bad. I'm on it all the time, and aside from the sex crap, I'd give the app a 5/5. :)
See you next week, M&M!
No comments:
Post a Comment