Ah, spring. If you lived through the winter in the Midwest as I did, the word spring not only sounds good, it practically tastes good. Finally the daffodils and the tulips are opening, the trees have a greenish glow, and birds sing after showers of liquid water, rather than delicately grouped ice crystals. I've only lived 17 years, but never have I seen a winter as brutal as this last one, but that's for another post.
So I'm finishing up my Junior year in a few days, and there's a lot of things that need to get done. (read studying) I have never really needed to study, but for some reason there is one final I'm freaking out about--History.
I'm not a huge history scholar. World War I and II are my highly concentrated areas of interest, but all other aspects of history with the slight exception of Reagan's presidency really don't interest me. So when I get the email that my history final is going to be an essay on the philosophy of progressivism and how it affected the United States....I was only slightly freaked out, because really, this is the only thing I've done this year for History that can be graded...other than essays. So maybe 50% of my grade depends on this exam.
There's only one problem--I have a bad case of spring fever.
I spent two hours at track practice with my sister yesterday, and then every spare minute outside at youth group last night. I've spent so much time in the open air that it's gone to my head and I can't concentrate on anything. This of course is not conducive to passing final exams that count for 50%-ish of your grade. See my predicament? I have shut myself in my cave, and diligently studied Chemistry all morning, then done some other various things, but when it comes time to pull out the History? Nothing happens. It's like my brain refuses to function. I considered just taking a nap but what good would that do me? I'd just sleep the day away!
I can't be the only person who's ever struggled with spring fever and final exams all happening at the same time. So what do they do? Well, from what I can figure, lots of people take short, frequent breaks, look outside for a while, go for quick walks, take short naps, etc. My problem is that all of those things only intensify my problem. I come back and I'm even less focused than before.
This must be one of those things that my sister would look at me and say, "Suck it up, buttercup!" because I can't find a solution...
And good luck to everyone else as Finals season is now underway!
No comments:
Post a Comment