Spring semester is turning out to be the toughest one for me in my college career. Maybe it's because the weather gets nice and I get an itch to plan a trip and start working more hours. Maybe it's the fact that I somehow always plan my most irritating courses in the spring, even if I don't mean to. Whatever it is, my spring semester always goes like this:
Week 1: I need another week of break.
Week 2: Oh look at all the disgusting, difficult projects I have due 2.5 months from now.
Week 3: I will not procrastinate this semester
Week 4: Why is this prof so boring?
Week 5: When's spring break?
Week 6: Do I HAVE to get out of bed and go to class?
Week 7: What is this guy saying I literally think he's speaking a different language
Week 8: MIDTERMSMIDTERMSMIDTERMSMIDTERMS
SPRING BREAK YAY!!!
Week 9: Why is it cold out. Not fair.
Week 10: OMG I HAVE A PAPER DUE!? TOMORROW!? 5 PAGES!?
Week 11: I literally think I'm going to crumple down and die from this stress.
Week 12: Only a few more weeks. It's OK.
Week 13: ANOTHER TEST!?
Week 14: OMG two weeks until finals I have to start studying now!
Week 15: If someone held a gun to my head I'd beg them to pull the trigger.
FINALS WEEK: ASDFGHJKLAHDSLHOWENFWOECHDHFSDLH
AAaaaaannnnnd it's over. I survived.
Spring semester is a beast that I hope to overcome, and since this year was better than last year, I analyzed a few things that make all the difference when it comes to surviving the spring semester.
1) Put all your homework assignments in a planner/calendar you will actually use. It keeps deadlines from sneaking up on you and it feels good crossing things off.
2) Take notes by hand. Do this all the time, actually. Writing things down with a pencil and paper solidifies it in your brain. I started doing this my freshman year, and my grades skyrocketed.
3) If your professor doesn't make a study guide, consider asking for one. I did this with my Communications professor this year and she actually made one up for everybody. I used it, and my grade on that test was one of the highest. It pays to get a study guide and use it.
4) Force yourself to pay attention to even the most boring lecturers. They still have exams and you still need to pass them. When you're sitting there staring at the page not knowing what the heck they're asking, you'll kick yourself for not paying better attention.
5) Ask for help. Even if it's another classmate. People pick up on different things. They may understand something that you don't, and vice versa. Study buddies are the biggest asset for any exam.
I'm slowly learning how to defeat the spring semester blues. I'm not relying on my final exam grades to save me from failing as much, and I'm understanding difficult material better. And this is coming from someone who is never able to go to office hours. Also, email is your best friend when it comes to getting help. Just a lil bonus tip.
Good luck to all the graduating seniors of 2017, and I hope that for those of you who go to college, that you find success and your dreams come true.
No comments:
Post a Comment