Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Why I Will Always Hate Valentine's Day

I KNOW I KNOW I haven't written anything in 2 months.  I have tried, really but every idea I have falls flat as soon as I write a few paragraphs.  However, since it's Valentine's Day and I actually finished my Geology Lab Homework before 2am I thought I'd keep my tradition and write you a post anyways.

So why the gloomy title?  Well this year I have realized how much I will always dislike Valentine's Day, regardless of how much or how little I'm "spoiled" on said holiday.

I despise being the center of attention, so an elaborate, romantic gesture is more of an embarrassment than a pleasure.  But I also hate being ignored, and I ALSO hate asking to not be ignored.  So Valentine's Day is a bit of an issue.

Now, before you all think I have some sort of issue, let me just say that Tucker and I are going to the Red Wings vs. Blues hockey game in Detroit tomorrow night, so I am not entirely forgotten.  However, I do have friends that were completely forsaken today.  (LAME)  So if the commercial Valentine's Day is such a disappointment to people, why does it continue to be so important to them?
I have a simple answer to this question.

We are taught that celebrating the Hallmark version of this holiday is what we're SUPPOSED to do.  In preschool we made Valentines for all our little friends.  In 6th grade we made Valentines for all our friends of the same gender because don't-you-know-the-other-ones-have-cooties.  In middle and high school we stopped exchanging paper hearts with candy taped to them.  We started to understand what Valentine's Day was "really" about.  Having a significant other.

Remember when we would get excited because Valentine's was basically a second Halloween?  Now those same kids who came home with little chocolates and fun dips sit in their rooms drowning their sorrows in Netflix and sassy Twitter posts someone stole from Tumblr anyway.  Those kids who eagerly passed out those disgustingly overrated Brachs candy hearts now post selfies with their dogs or their pillow or a stuffed animal, trying to make themselves happy with being alone on this "couple's day."  They coin phrases and hashtags like #singlesawarenessday, but they aren't really happy in their state of existence.  They scroll through Facebook and Instagram looking at pictures of cute, happy couples.  And they are sad.

I have had my share of disappointments on Valentine's Days.  And sometimes it's hard being a person who doesn't demand to be spoiled because it often means you're not.  The girls who get Victoria's Secret and a rose-covered bed on February 14 might look like they have it all, but I promise, even a solitary bed with a few pieces of chocolate from your mom with a rose-scented candle can make for a wonderful evening.

 The phrase "treat yo self" has never been truer than for those who spend Valentine's Day alone.  Because honey, you're worth it.  So light a candle, eat some junk food, watch that Netflix, and enjoy the rest of your night.  You don't need an SO to make today special.  Today is a day of love, so love yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment