Wednesday, November 9, 2016

20 lessons from a 20 year old

Today at 7:03am, I turned 20 years old.  No longer a teenager.  Guess I'm fully adult now.

Yay...

Anyways, I have compiled a list of 20 things I have learned in my relatively short life for your reading pleasure.  Do enjoy.


  1.  Don't underestimate the power of free food.  I have so many stories of people either bringing me food on purpose, or just receiving handouts from random campus people who use food to entice students to take whatever paraphernalia they're handing out.  Free food is good. 
  2. School is important.  Stay in school kids.  Seriously.  At least graduate high school.  I know college isn't for everyone, but everyone needs a high school diploma. 
  3. Turn your phone off sometimes.  There's a lot of life we miss because social media.  
  4. Not everyone has your back.  I knowwwwww I'm such a debbie downer but seriously.  Not everyone has your back and it's better to be skeptical than sorry.  At least in my opinion.  Loyalty is proven, not distributed.
  5. Length of friendship does not equate to loyalty.  I have had friends that I've known my whole life betray me in the end.  And people that I've only known for 3 or 4 years be the most loyal, true friends I could have ever dreamed up.
  6. Honesty is the best policy... when used correctly.  One word:  Tact.  Don't be brutally honest and not expect fallout.  Use tact.  Less fallout.  More effectiveness.  
  7. Relationships aren't what they're cracked up to be.  They're work.  Hard work.  People are not perfect.  But relationships (romantical ones) are all about learning to love an imperfect person perfectly. (thanks tumblr)
  8. Make new friends, but don't totally forget about the new ones.  I gotta say... FaceTiming an old high school friend of mine who goes to college an hour away from me were some of the happiest hours I've had this semester.  Don't underestimate the amount of joy an old friend's voice can bring.  
  9. Breakups suck, but they don't last forever.  Do I really have to explain this?  
  10. Enjoy the childish things and don't let anyone judge you.  I LOVE my stuffed animals, my coloring books, my fuzzy blankets, Disney movies, and goldfish.  
  11. Remember your grandparents.  They're important.  They love you and they want to know how you're doing.  
  12. Eat food.  Sometimes it's hard to remember to eat when I'm so busy I hardly have time to breathe.  But eat food.  Food is good.
  13. Go to bed.  Haha says the person who's awake at midnight writing you a blog post. 
  14. Laugh at yourself.  If you laugh at yourself, life is less stressful, and then if other people laugh too, they're laughing with you not at you. 
  15. Drink a latte every once in a while.  Lattes are delicious and they warm up your insides and they make you feel cozy and happy.  Hot cocoa does the same thing. 
  16. Pick your battles.  You're not going to win every fight, so pick the ones you know you can win... KIDDING.  Pick the fights that are about important issues. 
  17. Surround yourself with people who love you.  I know, probably idealistic.  But having a strong network of support is helpful not just for morale, but for sanity.  Having people who can give advice, be a listening ear and a shoulder to cry on, and cheer you on is a great asset in your life. 
  18. Don't be afraid to be different.  This is something I still struggle with.  I want to be my own person who can stand up for what I think, but I'm not always very good at it.  
  19. Say you're sorry.  "I'm sorry" and "I was wrong" are two of the hardest things to say, but when you're in a conflict with someone, they are also two of the most disarming things to say.  They pour water on the fire, and it's easier to reach a solution and make things right.  
  20. Make the most of every opportunity.  My trip to California this year was the best example of this.  The opportunity was there so I took it.  And I had the time of my life.  No regrets whatsoever.  
So there you all go.  20 things I've learned in my 20 years of life.  Hope you enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment