Friday, December 18, 2015

Hey Guys!!! I did a thing!!!

So after getting 4.5 hours of sleep because I forgot to read my chapters in my book, I was up at 7:10 (cue the gasp)--yes, I was up before 9am--I took my 5th final exam.  May I also mention the last one.  And then, after scooting in the door at the last second and finding my usual (and favorite) seat unoccupied, I figured the force was in my favor and I'd do fantastic on this exam.

If you're my friend on Facebook, you know that some doofus pulled the fire alarm.  (My dad maintains it was a German Shepherd or a horse that decided to prank the humans, since my lecture hall is attached to the veterinary medical building.)  My professor was 99% sure there was no fire, so she told us to stay put.  This being the case, I finished the exam and turned it in.  I called my dad to pick me up, and the fire truck showed up.  So all the students that were hanging around to catch the action pull out the phones and start snapping pictures.  Then they tell all of us to evacuate.

It was 30 degrees this morning and windy.

So they ended up figuring out that there was no fire and those who didn't finish the exam got to go back and finish (after a nice chat about the answers, I'm sure).

I went home.


So to begin the semester, I wrote nothing about my adventures.  To briefly sum it up, here's some quick notes:

  1. I got lost every day for at least the first week and a half
  2. I made some friends in two of my four classes
  3. I only liked two of my classes
  4. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to do college
  5. I spent a lot of time on a bus. 
So now that the semester is at its end, here's a few improvements:
  1. I don't always get lost
  2. I still have the same friends  (I think)
  3. I only like one of my classes
  4. Still don't know how to do college
  5. I still spend a lot of time on a bus.  
Yes, Communications (COM), was the prevailing favorite class. 

I learned an immense amount of material the last 15 weeks.  I also learned who and what was really important to me.  I am also extremely happy that Christmas break is here.  I did a lot of things I thought I'd never do, and I'm glad I did.  For example, I can speak German a heck of a lot better than I could before.  While I'm not taking German next semester because it's not required, I'm certainly glad I took it.  I learned that you're not going to like all of your professors, and that's OK.  

I wrote a post earlier this year about making time for the people you love.  I was definitely put to the test in that area.  Managing time has always been a struggle as far as school goes.  Being in college where I had to sit in a classroom really helped me manage time because I was reminded of homework that was due almost daily.  Because of that, I didn't "miss" a lot of deadlines.  I also had to work 11-18 hours a week.  Not much studying happening there.  I also tried to go out with Tucker at least once a week aside from him taking me to school.  And I still had to sleep.  

There are a lot of factors that go into college success, and I think that staying strong through the whole semester is an important one.  I didn't care about writing earlier, and I wish I had.  I didn't care about German at the end and I probably should have.  Either way, I'm so glad this semester went as well as it did, and I look forward to next semester with new classes, new professors, and new friends.  (Although I'm probably going to be in a lot of lectures).  


No comments:

Post a Comment