I tend to have some of this same mindset. When I was about 8 years old a friend--who was a guy--made fun of me for crying when a horse died in a movie we were watching. Ever since then I've had the same mentality of "tears show weakness. Don't cry. You'll get made fun of if you do."
But you know what? Crying is healthy. It offers a release for pain. When I was a sophomore, I found that if somehow I could get myself to cry, I was less likely to cut myself. There was a release and I felt better. Why do we deny males their tears?
I've only ever been exposed to one guy my age crying. It tore me up because he kept saying he needed to stop because he was a guy and he shouldn't be crying.
This leads me to a question: why is it that girls are allowed to cry and express emotions, and guys are ridiculed for the same human right. Come on people that's ridiculous!
Males have the same emotions and feelings females do. And they should be allowed to express them, not forced to save their tears for their pillow in a dark room alone. That's not fair to them. You're forcing them to be nonhuman. Guys are people too.
So before you call a guy a wimp for showing emotions, remember he's a person with feelings and he deserves to let them out. Don't deny him that. (As long as he's not hurting anyone else, that is)
No comments:
Post a Comment