I have my own personal reasons for disliking this particular holiday. The first and foremost reason being I can't stand superficial sap crap. The second being I hate pink. The third...I enjoy being a cynic. Anyhow, for those unfortunate enough to be without a date for valentines...It could be a sad time of year. I think I may have done a post to that effect last year. But this year instead of focusing on the single people, I'm gonna pick on the couples.
I warned you this post was coming, so you have no reason to be surprised. Now, here's the deal. I was asked by a friend of mine to write a post on what I think a Christian couple should look like. Frankly I feel like there should be no distinction because the world could use a little more morality in general, so I'm gonna open it up and just tell you what I think. Argue for or against as you please. This is what I think.
First, I don't think anyone oughta be having sex before or out of marriage. There. I said it. How much explaining do I really need to do on this one?
Second, I don't pretend to have scruples about kissing before marriage but if you're married...don't make out with anyone but your spouse please...just don't.
Third, physical contact to an extent is OK. I'm not a very physical person to begin with so touching isn't exactly the highest thing on my radar but...holding hands, sitting close with her head on his shoulder...that kind of thing I'm cool with. Tickling works I guess. I'm not ticklish either but you know...
Fourth, dating. If you read this blog regularly you've probably read my commentary on dating vs. courting. To be honest my position has not changed. I don't really see a need for courting. I see it more as "dating with the intention of forever". So you're dating just its official forever okay like you're probably gonna get married unless something catastrophic happens.
Fifth, age. It is my honest opinion that most teenagers have no business saying "forever" "I love you" or "wait for me" because they don't understand the heavy meaning of those words. I've met one girl who understands at the age of 15. I've seen one couple be an item since 8th grade until now (they're both 19). People under the age of 18/19 don't always necessarily know what they're talking about. So they shouldn't be saying it. As a matter of fact, I'd say dating should be a no-no until 17 or 18. Maybe I'll extrapolate that in another post...
Finally, if you're gonna be in a relationship, make sure you're gonna have time for one. Isaac and I talked about this briefly and we both agreed that if you can afford to wait and you know you're gonna be busy with stuff like school, etc., then maybe the relationship can wait. If it's meant to be the other person will be there on the other side. I mean take me for example. I have six years of college education ahead of me. I'm 18 years old. I don't have to get married next year. I have time, so what's the rush? I would rather have a meaningful, involved relationship that I waited for than a disconnected, strenuous one that I forced. See my point here?
Also, bonus point, it's a good idea to set boundaries with your significant other, and to have someone that will hold you to keeping those boundaries.
So there you have it. I hope that answered my friend's question. I hope you all have a good holiday. And don't worry single pringles...your turn will come. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment