I have other posts pending, but I thought I'd take a moment to share this so I don't have to tell the story so many times.
I spent three hours in Urgent Care after an incident with a chainsaw.
And writing this post is physically paining me.
So dad, grandpa, and I were going to load a trailer full of wood on Saturday. However, some of the logs were too long for our woodburner, so we had to cut them in half. Well, it's dangerous to cut logs in half without having someone or something hold them steady, so since I had the strong hands, arms, and back, I was pitching logs into the trailer and holding them still while my dad cut them in half. We got maybe 10 logs cut in half before the adventure began.
Dad got one cut and I was reaching for the other part of the log...trying to go around the chainsaw of course. But he moved the chainsaw forward and into my hand right at the moment I reached for the log...and he revved it at that moment, so the chain was in motion. It bit into my hand, instantly cutting a nasty gash. I yelled and ripped my glove off. I only saw the cut for a part of a second before I was running for the house. I didn't even feel pain until I got closer to the house. (I was told I left a blood trail...haha)
Inside, my mom's parents were getting ready to leave, (we were at my dad's parents' house) and my mom's mom were instantly by my side as I held my bloody hand over the sink. All I remember was my grandma saying, "She's gonna need stitches." My mom's parents had to leave, so dad's mom and my mom took me to urgent care. I started going into shock and almost passed out in the back of the car, but I didn't.
Once we got to the hospital, it took what seemed like forever before they finally took me back. As soon as I started unwrapping the wound I was shocked. There were two paper towels wadded up and pressed into my hand, and a towel folded in half wrapped around that. I bled through everything except the top layer of the folded towel. I had lost so much blood that I could feel blood leaving other parts of my body. My upper lip and left hand were tingling, and I was pale and light-headed.
I had to get a tetanus shot before they sewed me up, so I got my first taste of needles since I was maybe 10 years old. It wasn't too bad, actually. Well...that was before the doctor started injecting anesthetic in me... The skin around the cut was extremely sensitive, so when he stuck that needle in...mom was holding my hand, and I basically put her hand in a death grip...poor mom. My hands are surprisingly strong...
After I was numb he started sewing up the cut. As he was looking at it, he said there were two cuts, and that the chainsaw had probably bounced and cut me a second time. (the tears on the glove support that theory) But he also said that it didn't cut any ligaments or major nerves, so once the stitches come out and the cut heals, I will be able to use my hand again, and all that will be left is a really cool scar. :)
I'm posting a picture of the finished product as of tonight when I changed the bandage. If you're bothered by that stuff, don't look at it, OK?
Nine stitches that will stay in for two weeks. Pain pills every four hours, and antibiotics twice a day. Yay me. ;P
Special thanks to Isaac and Tucker for keeping me positive, but mostly Tucker. I don't know where I'd be without that guy. He's keeping me somewhat sane through all the medication, even though I get depressed (one of the side effects) and start being negative. He takes my mind off the pain and helps me see that all isn't lost just because I can't do a lot of things. So thanks to him. Everyone needs good friends to help them. :)
So that's it for now...it's taken me probably an hour to write all this, partly 'cause I've been messaging/texting but partly 'cause it's painful to write. I've got a requested post coming up soon, when it doesn't hurt so badly to type.

Ahhh! Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it heals soon! That looks pretty painful!
ReplyDeleteIt hurt for a while, but it's getting better really fast. It's not making me writhe in pain anymore. ;) I expect to be back on the violin within the week. haha.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
Delete