Sunday, December 14, 2014

My Mind Palace

I got the idea for a mind palace from the BBC TV series "Sherlock".  (It's brilliant.  Go watch it.  Now.)  Sherlock has a mind palace that he retreats to when he needs to get away.  So, my personality and attitude being relatively similar to Sherlock's...I decided to create a mind palace of my own.

Best.  Decision.  EVER!

I spend a lot of time in this mind palace of mine, so I thought I'd break down the construction for you and explain a little bit about how it works.  Be warned, my brain has no color...it's all in black and white.  Just thought I should clarify that.

Anyways, when I enter my mind palace, all there is is a tall, thick, black wall bordered by a wrought iron fence-like barrier topped with spikes and barbed wire.  The gates are also wrought iron.  Lucky for you, I don't have to go through all that to get in, so we'll skip the "open the gates" procedure.

Once inside, the first thing you'll see is a tall, slender piece of architecture that stabs upward into the sky.  That is the Control Center.  We'll go there later.  May I draw your attention to the perimeter of the wall.  There are dozens and dozens of little huts that are in clusters around the wall.  These huts are where my thoughts live.  There's the school community, where Math, Logic, English, Shakespeare, History, etc. all live.  There's the life skills community where driving, work knowledge, cooking, cleaning, etc. all live.  (Not much lives in the cooking hut....) Anyways, you get the idea.

Now, let's head to the Control Center.

Once you're into the palace, it's not hard to get into the C.C.  However, to become a permanent resident in here is difficult.  Most thoughts just get stuck in a hut in their respective communities, but some specific thoughts live in the control center.  Usually they pertain to an individual person or event, and their residence in the C.C. isn't permanent.  There are too many floors to count in this building, but the main floor is pretty boring except for the office.  That's like the high tech control panel stuff you see in sci-fi movies.  It's pretty sweet when you know how to work it...which I do. ;)

OK, so where do the thoughts live?  Upstairs.  Depending on the secrecy of the thoughts, they might be higher up.  So secret dreams and wishes I haven't told anyone?  Very tip top of the spire.  Stuff I might tell my closer friends...maybe second or third floor.  It all depends.  Like I said, they're all very specific.  But if it's in the C.C. as a resident, chances are not many people know about those thoughts.
Now I can't lie...there is a dungeon beneath the Control Center.  What's down there?  The thoughts that used to be happy, memories that haunt me, crushed dreams, broken promises, unfulfilled wishes.  I don't like going down there.  That's the place where my evil side lives.  It's the scary part of my brain.  No thought goes in and comes back.  They're usually there to stay unless by some miracle they're resurrected.

OK moving on.  That's actually all there is to my brain.  Organized, black and white... And the best part is that I have almost complete control!  Seriously you can't have an awesome control panel and just let it sit there right. ;)  It's really quite pleasant.  I forgot to mention I have an endless supply of chicken nuggets and bacon.  It's amazing in there.  See why I like it so much now?  xD

I know I just posted yesterday, but for some reason I just wanted to write this all down and share it, 'cause it might help y'all understand my brain, and then I can use the lingo and stuff and y'all won't be all "Whaaaaaaa?" on me. ;)  So yeah, have a nice night.

No comments:

Post a Comment