Friday, July 18, 2014

Human Sharks--The Purge

OK guys, I know a lot of my posts are somewhat humorous, but tonight I want to share with you something that's been on my heart for a long time, and tonight is the perfect time to share it.

At 1am Eastern and 12am Central, "The Purge" is taking place on social networks like Facebook, Twitter,and Instagram.  "The Purge" derives its origin from a movie with the same title in which all crime is legal for 12 hours.  What people are doing is taking any sort of dirt they have on anyone and posting it for all the world to see, in hopes that as many people will commit suicide as possible.  As of now, 10:30pm Eastern, 90 teens have committed suicide.

This saddens and frightens me all at the same time.  To think that teenagers would do something like this is beyond disgusting.  We're all humans, people!  Posting dirt is vile, low, and disgraceful.  Now it's trending.  People are doing this because they think it's fun.  FUN! People are sitting back and watching it, because it's entertaining.  ENTERTAINING!  I am disappointed in the human race.

You guys, I've been wanting to talk about self-harm and suicide for a long time.  This is a real issue, and it is out there.  People you know struggle with it.  I do.  There are days when it's all I can do to say no.  Imagine if there was someone out there trying to recover, and they had some old, hurtful things posted during this "Purge".  They might very well not wake up tomorrow.  It's that easy, OK?  This is serious.  People actually do kill themselves over stuff like this.  Those who don't kill themselves may very well cut or burn themselves.
What is wrong with today's society?  You don't hear about cutting and self-harm back in the 80s or the 90s.  What happened to today's kids that all of a sudden this stuff is everywhere?  More and more teens are hurting themselves.  Teen suicide is rising.  And most of it is attributed to what I call human sharks.

Human sharks are people who say, do, or post hurtful things about people.  Purposefully.  They know it's hurting that person, but they choose to do it anyway.  You can call it what you like, but it's downright cruel.  The victims of this bullying are the ones who make the news for suicide.  It's things like this "Purge" that disgust me because they're made by these sharks who have nothing better to do than ruin people's lives.  If you're one of those sharks, I beg you to stop.  You're ruining people's lives!  It's life!  If you think their life is worthless, then I have one question, what makes you any better?  You are purposefully hurting them!  What kind of person are you?

I know this may sound harsh, but guys, these are real people with real families and real friends.  They aren't just a picture on the news.  That person was real.  They had feelings and hobbies and things that made them laugh.  They had sleepovers and exams and crushes.  They struggled through school every day and they did homework every night.  They were passionate about something and they had dreams.  And it's people like these sharks that are out to ruin these people's lives.

I'm sorry this is so heavy and hard to read.  Thank you for reading this far.  This is something I feel very strongly about, and I want it to stop.  Please, don't just sit back and watch this stuff happen.  Take a stand. Make a difference.  Speak up.  You might save someone's life.

1 comment: