Friday, April 4, 2014

What is Love?

This week is one of my most favorite weeks of the year.  It's when I take my violin and all my precious possessions to my grandparent's house and live there while playing in a pit orchestra for the local homeschool performing arts group. 




However, this week wasn't just about the tragic loss of Titanic, although I have learned a lot about what I'm going to write about from the story.  Some of you may know the other events of my week, and for those who don't, let me summarize it by saying I suffered a tragedy of my own.  Based on the title of my post, I will let you determine what such a tragedy might entail.



Now, on to my actual post. 




I've been doing a lot of thinking this week about what love really is.  In Titanic, whether it be the movie or the Broadway production, there's at least some amount of romance.  But romance doesn't necessarily require love.  So what does the four-letter "L" word really mean? 


To some, it's just that feeling when someone you have a romantic interest in comes around.  It could be the bond you have with your best friend.  Most often though, it's used in reference to a romantic interest. 


The Biblical definition of love is "commitment".  When I say "I love you" to someone, what I'm really saying is, "I'm committed to you no matter what happens.  I'm here to stay...forever."  This is the kind of love I hear in Titanic.  Women refuse to take a lifeboat to safety because they won't leave their husbands.  Sometimes their husbands force them to go, but as I sit in the pit listening, the sounds of the parting couples are heartbreaking.  I imagine them in tears as the men stood on the decks of the doomed ship, knowing they would never see their wives, fiancées, or children ever again.  That's what I call love. 


I'm a quote junkie.  I read them, make them, collect them, you name it.  One thing I've noticed about the quotes classified as "love quotes" is that they talk about falling out of love.  I wanted to know if that was possible.  Well, if we go by the conventional definition of love, then yes.  It is possible.  But if we go by the Biblical definition, then no, it is impossible to fall out of love with someone, and if you can, then you never really loved them to begin with. 


Now that I have answered the question in my title, let me give you something to think about...some unanswered, open-ended questions. 
Can two people who are in love (I'm talking real love here) separate themselves?  Could they break up and move on with their lives or will they never really get over it?  Can they be "just friends"?  If so, how would they go about doing it?  These are just some of the questions I have concerning love, etc.  I've figured out answers to most of them, but I'm not telling what they are.  They are questions you'll have to think on and answer for yourself. 


Have a nice night everyone, and if you're not planning to already, come see TITANIC!!!  It's amazing! :)

1 comment:

  1. Baby don't hurt me...
    Don't hurt me...
    No more...
    xD

    ReplyDelete