Thursday, April 24, 2014

God's Not Dead--Review, Comment, and Refutation

Hello everyone!  I apologize for the extensive amount of time that has passed since my last post.  I've been crazy busy, and even now am taking very valuable and limited time to write a "quick" post about the new release, "God's Not Dead". 

I went to see this movie over Easter weekend, and was quite impressed.  I spent the last half of the movie sobbing but trying not to let anyone know about it.  Ah, pride makes us such miserable creatures...I spent the remainder of my evening with a headache.  Ugh! 

Anyways, I would highly recommend the movie to anyone and everyone.  It makes a lot of good points, has a lot of solid logic, and some decently convincing arguments. 

Speaking of arguments, I've been hearing some pretty intense debate on the subject of free will, instigated, of course, by the final debate between student Josh Wheaton and Prof. Radisson.  Now, before I give you my thoughts, let me say that this is where the movie disappointed me.  They blatantly skirted the issue of free will.  It was actually quite clever.  I understand that free will is a HUGE issue, but they barely brushed it.  I heard the two words "free will" and cringed.  Anyways, here is what I have the nerve to post about it... please keep in mind that I am in a hurry, and that I'm not a Ph.D. in theology.  This is just what my take on the issues are...



"First, let me just say that there were several points that the prof. could have smeared the student.  (Free will, existence of evil, etc.)  I had counter arguments running through my head the entire time the movie was playing. 

Secondly, in defense of the free will argument, let me say that the suffering we face is either a result of a wrong choice we made, or that someone else made.  The reason there are wrong choices is because of sin.  Sin is a result of free will.  God gave Adam and Eve the choice to make the original sin of disobedience, and they chose to disobey.  Yes, God has punished/killed people for their sins.  (I saw the examples of the flood, Soddam and Gamorrah.)  But if we are his created beings, does he not have the right to punish us?  If you make something, you are in charge of it, you control it.  You can destroy it and start over.  Should God not have the same right? 

Now, back to free will.  The idea that God can control us begs the argument of free will even more.  "If we have free will, then we shouldn't be subjected to God controlling us!"  No, not necessarily.  We are called children of God if we belong to him.  Do we not, as humans, discipline our own children and make decisions for them?  Do we not guide them, lay down rules, and try to protect them?  If God is our Father, then doesn't it make sense that he would do the same for us!?  Now for those who choose to be enemies of God, there is God's wrath.  If you hate someone--they are you enemy--will you not do everything in your power to make their lives miserable?  I rest my case."
 
I apologize for any faulty logic, and if I have any of my facts wrong, feel free to leave a comment.  I am certainly open to learning.  But please also keep in mind that I am a Christian, so while I try to keep my blog as neutral as possible, I do have a bias. 
 
Again, sorry for the delay, but finishing your Junior year is no easy task.  ;)  I'll try not to let it happen again.  Have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment