...Educational.
Ha. I'm a comedian.
No but in all seriousness, and aside from the obvious I-was-in-college-of-course-it-was-educational, I learned a lot of things that really only college can teach you. I'm proud of myself for some things and I'm not-so-proud of others. So here are some things I learned from Day 1 to "I'M DONE."
Pro-tips:
- ALWAYS take notes on a piece of paper. With a pencil. You remember things much better when you write them down. If you want a digital copy, type them up later and use it as study time.
- ALWAYS use campus transportation, but don't be afraid to walk. If I had allowed myself to be scared of a new bus route or a new building, I would have been late to class several times, and I'd always be getting lost. And at MSU, walking is great because the campus is beautiful and big. You get exercise and sunshine all at the same time. And I also don't get lost as much now.
- ALWAYS ask professors if you think something is wrong. I contested a grade for the first time in my life this semester. It was really scary, but since the class was based off of points, two points could eventually have been the difference between a 3.5 and a 4.0. So if you think something's wrong, ask. You might be right.
- ALWAYS do the assigned readings. They're mostly boring and dry, but I didn't read anything this semester or last, and while my grades didn't suffer noticeably, I bet my personal understanding of things being taught would have been a lot better.
- ALWAYS find a study buddy. I had two study groups. One for German and one for Psychology. It really helped even if you did nothing else besides vent your frustration. Plus you have someone to sit with in class, take notes for if one of you couldn't make it, and eventually help each other focus on studying.
- NEVER wait until the last minute to study for an exam. I did that this semester, and it did not go well. Fall semester I started studying for my tough exams weeks in advance, and I got help from friends where I could. Spring semester, exams kind of snuck up on me and before I knew it I had months' worth of information that I had to memorize overnight.
- NEVER procrastinate on giant papers. I had a 5 page paper that I had to write and I wrote it 2 days before it was due. Thankfully I did a good job on it (partially credited to a friend who proofread it for me). Just don't procrastinate OK?
- ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS listen to the Star Wars soundtrack when you're studying! It makes it 100% more awesome and if you have to study a long time, it helps. Try it.
So there's some "pro-tips" for you. Now, I love college and stuff, but I'm glad for summer break. I will enjoy working a bit more (I mean who doesn't like money), and I'll enjoy not having to lug a backpack around everywhere all the time. I'll enjoy not having to go through the checklist every time I leave (phone? check. chargers? check. laptop? check. keys? check), because I'll just have everything nicely in the purse like a normal female.
I learned a lot this year that I definitely wouldn't have learned elsewhere, and I'm excited for everything I learn my sophomore year. So I will leave you with this final thought:
GO GREEN!
And have a great summer break!
The new color scheme for your blog makes it quite difficult to read. I would suggest you use black lettering, or make the background color for the text darker. If you like the colors you are using you could try an easier to read font, or a combination of both (most recommended). Keep up the good work
ReplyDeleteDually noted and updated. :)
DeleteLooks much better and is soooooo much easier to read! Thanks!
Delete