OK, not really.
Hi everyone. This "week" on M&M I will be discussing why I don't want to be a human anymore and why I don't want to live on this planet anymore. And be prepared for a heavy dose of sarcasm, because I'm still mad about it.
I work in retail as you all should know by now. However, I am not a cashier anymore. I'm what they call an MCA, which means that I keep fitting rooms clean, I keep displays looking nice, I help customers with finding things, I check prices for cashiers, and basically just try to keep things looking nice. I love my job almost all the time. I love organizing things, and I absolutely love folding clothes and putting them in size order. It's just who I am. I'm so happy in my job.
Why do I want to leave this planet and disown the human race then?
Because people are idiots.
I cannot describe to you the disasters people leave in my fitting rooms. Today was the worst I've ever seen, and I will attempt to describe it to you. I have four fitting rooms in the men's department. Let's call them 1, 2, 3, and 4. I also have a rack, a shelf, and a table. Customers are supposed to put unwanted items on the rack, shelf, or table--preferably hung on the proper hanger or at least partially folded.
When I walked into the men's fitting rooms, the rack was about half full. The shelf was empty, and the table had a couple things tossed on it.
Fitting room 1: The bench was covered in rumpled clothes. The two hooks had empty hangers and jeans draped over them. Cardboard and tissue paper from dress shirts were scattered on the floor, and there were bras--yes, bras-- hung in there as well.
Fitting room 2: Much the same as fitting room 1.
Fitting room 3: Clearly a woman was in here, because there were women's clothes thrown everywhere. Bras and slimming intimates were on the hooks. Under the bench--on the floor, were more bras and some fine jewelry and random articles of clothing. I had to get on all fours to dig it out from under there.
Fitting room 4: (Handicapped accessible, so much bigger than the other 3) When I got there, this fitting room was occupied by a boyfriend/girlfriend pair. I cleared the other 3 fitting rooms and waited for them to come out so I could survey the damage in there.
When they came out, the girlfriend opened the door and had a cart--a big no-no--and she saw me glaring at her. She stopped like "uh-oh we're caught" and I just pretended I hadn't been glaring at her. They came out and left the fitting room and I walked in to fitting room 4. I've never seen anything so horrendous in my life. I stood there with my hands pressed to my temples for a good 30 seconds. The other guy in the dressing room actually looked in there and whistled under his breath.
This is what I saw: The large bench was covered and piled at least two feet high with unfolded and inside out shirts, pants, and dress shirts--both men's and women's. There were more bras on the floor and slimming intimates on the hooks. There were suit separates on the other hooks. The small bench had t-shirts and dress pants and other random things. All in all, it was trashed.
I cried.
I literally cried.
Real tears.
In case you're wondering, I got that fitting room all folded, hung, and ready for re-distribution back onto the floor. I also got in about half cleared. (With the assistance of my favorite manager)
But as I was clearing fitting room 4, I was thinking about what I'd do if that couple cam back and wanted to use a fitting room again. I knew for sure I wasn't letting them into number 4 again. But I couldn't just say "no you can't use a fitting room because you clearly aren't capable of being responsible for what you bring in." I couldn't say "You can only have three items with you." because that's not our policy. So what was I going to do? Well, I didn't have a whole lot of time to think about it because they headed back toward my fitting rooms again. This is what happened.
Me: *grabs male shirt and starts folding it in the doorway to fitting room 4*
Her: *walks into fitting room and sees me standing in the door of the fitting room she wants* "Oh hi."
Me: "Hi."
Her: "How are you today?"
Me: "I've been better."
Her: *awkward laugh* "Long day?"
Me: "Yeah, you know cleaning up the messes people leave in fitting rooms is a tough job."
Her: *awkwardly laughing again* "Oh yeah, fitting rooms are the devil."
Me: "They definitely are a challenge." *walks back into fitting room 4*
Those people left my fitting room and didn't come back.
Was that inappropriate? I don't know. I don't care. That wasn't the worst I could've said to her. My point is, if you want retail workers to be nice to you and help you out, BE NICE TO US!!!
I can't tell you how many people have gotten nasty with us, blamed us for stuff that wasn't our fault, or treated our area with disrespect. It's those people that make us hate working for the good guys. So people, I don't care who you are or what's going on in your life. If you shop retail, keep the fitting rooms nice, if you mess something up, try to fix it, and if you have a problem, DO NOT BLAME US! We're there to help, but if you treat us like crap, we aren't going to want to help you. I've pulled strings for people that are kind and treat me with respect. I've refused some standard procedures to people who are jerks and treat me like I'm the reason they were inconvenienced.
So respect people. Respect property. You'll go far in life. Get it? Got it? Good. No excuses. Don't say you were never informed. You just were.
No comments:
Post a Comment