Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Brain Trails: Dear Diary...

When I was in middle school all the way up to my Junior year of high school I journaled.  A lot.  I still continue to write in "notebooks" that are less formalized than a journal, and there's a lot less inclination to be regular.

But you know what's interesting about those journals, other than the fact that they contain things that I'm sure some people would love to get their hands on, is that they are private.  I don't let people read them, no one touches them, and I'm sure if my family thought about it, they wouldn't even know where I keep them.  Maybe they would. I don't know.

With the rise in popularity in social media, it seems that many people tend to overestimate how much people actually care about what's going on in their lives.  I'll be honest, when someone posts something that says, "Date with the best!" or "Having dinner with the fam." I just press "like" because I like the person that posted it.  I don't actually care who they're having dinner with, who they're out on the town with, or whatever.  The only things I genuinely like are funny pictures or comedic stories, or other things that Alison Smith actually cares about.  (Which is too long and diverse of a list to bother writing out now.)  

The things that irritate me (and everyone else) the most is the stuff that people post that makes their wall look like my deep-secret diary.  Posts that, in essence, say, "My life is horrible and you should all feel sorry for me." or "I'm so done with your crap and you can just walk out of my life OK?"...yeah.  No.

Facebook is NOT your diary, okay people? Facebook is a social networking site.  Your personal and private life is YOUR problem.  Not Facebook's. If you need to talk to someone, don't post something like, "So depressed.", then when someone comments "what's up?" say, "message me".

If you can't post what the problem is, don't post about it at all.  

If you want to talk to the person who said "What's up?", message them and say "Hey can I talk to you about something?  I really need someone to talk to." Don't broadcast the trouble all over the internet.

So there's my little brain trail.  I really hope you take this into consideration and save yourself the silent judgement of everyone on social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment