Monday, September 15, 2014

Cedar Point and Facing Your Fears

I went to Cedar Point on September 13.  For those of you who don't know, Cedar Point is an amusement park.  But not just any amusement part.  It's been voted "Best Amusement Park in the World" every year.  It holds many world records in regards to its rides and attractions as well.  It's located in Sandusky, Ohio here in the U.S.  I've been there three times now, and have enjoyed each time for different reasons.

Now, this year, for some annoying reason, a cold front has swept across America, so it never got above 63 degrees Fahrenheit the entire day.  When the sun went down, we were all shivering.  But I didn't create this post to talk about the weather.  I want to talk about fear.  

The thing about Cedar Point is that with all their record breaking coasters, thrill rides and water rides, they've touched a chord in everyone's body called fear.  It's part of what makes the rides so much fun.  However, some people will refuse to go on certain rides because they're too scared.  I, ashamedly so, was one of these people until Saturday.  

The scariest ride at Cedar Point is probably the Top Thrill Dragster.  Again, for those of you who don't know what that is, let me help you.  Imagine this.  You're in a car with a seatbelt and a lap bar.  Neither of which restrain your shoulders.  You stop at the launch point and you're staring at a huge, inverted "U" shape that rises 427 feet into the air.  Then suddenly you're launched.  The car goes from 0 to 120 mph in 3.8 seconds. You race up the "U" at 120mph at a 90 degree angle and the car slows a little as you reach the peak, then the car tips down and you race at the ground going 120mph, nothing restraining your shoulders.  Then you're at the end and they slam on the brakes.  All of that takes 17 seconds.  

Now I'm a daredevil.  Just not that kind of a daredevil.  The Dragster scared the ever loving crap out of me and after the first time I went on it, I swore it would never happen again.  Well, I was proved wrong when my friend Isaac pretty much told me I was going and there was nothing I could do about it.  (Friends are great, aren't they?)  The hilarious thing is that now, looking back, the scariest part of that ride is all in your head.  I will confess to screaming like a little girl on the way up and down, and in the picture they take at the beginning, the look on my face was pure terror, but the picture they take at the end showed me with a grin on my face.  It was actually fun.  

After Isaac made me face my fears--something he's becoming quite proficient at--I realized there wasn't anything to be afraid of in the first place.  So why are we so scared of things?  Be it a roller coaster or talking to someone we don't know.  (Which, judging by experiences at Cedar Point, can be a *cough* interesting experience)  Really, guys, everyone's afraid of something.  And sometimes those fears can be good.  They keep you from walking into a dark alley at night, or from getting to close to a van with no windows.  But fears like public speaking, performance, or even just an amusement park ride are easily overcome.  You just have to face them and not let them control you. I would have missed out on a lot of fun if I had let my fears control me.  And really, if anyone died on one of those rides, it wouldn't be operating anymore.  So there's no real danger.  

So don't let your fears control you.  Yes, they're there for a reason, but when it comes to things that have no direct bearing on your health and well-being...face them.  Conquer them.  You might just find that there's nothing to be scared of at all.  :)  

And shout out to Isaac for teaching me that valuable lesson.

2 comments: