Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Things I have Learned to be Thankful For

Since I quit my job at Sears, one of the first things I looked forward to was this holiday.  Thanksgiving is hands down my number one favorite holiday, and for the first time in 3 years, I am able to spend an uninhibited Thanksgiving day with my family tomorrow, and with my future in-laws on Saturday. 

In the spirit of the holiday, I wanted to take a minute and really reflect on what I have learned to be thankful for over the last 2.5 years, as being a college student has really made me start to focus on those things.  So here we go:


  • Reward Programs:  Between Tuck and I, we have some type of reward at every major retailer in an easily accessible area surrounding Lansing.  And let me tell you, those reward programs have been nothing but amazing.  Just today I bought a pair of $50-$60 boots for $2.56.  I bought a $320 parka for $9.95.  I got a pair of gloves for free around my birthday because I had points at Sears. And these are things that I need to stay warm at school! 



  • Free Stuff:  Everything from handouts on campus (here have a pen), to free coffee of any size at Biggby on my birthday is acceptable.  I'll never turn down free food or pens.  Like Panera deciding to drop a free cookie in my account is always a game changer.  Tuck and I got a lot of free stuff from bridal shows and when we did our registry and let me tell you it's going to save us a lot of money. 

  • FaceTime/Snapchat:  My sister lives an hour and a half away, and my best friend lives in Nashville, TN.  The fact that I can still see/talk to them even though they're too far away to visit is such a blessing.  I miss them both so much, and being able to see what's going on in their lives makes the distance easier to handle.  

  • Sleeping:  It doesn't always feel like I get enough of it, but I've collected enough pillows, blankets, and stuffed animals that I look forward to it now instead of resisting.  I find myself disappointed if I don't get to sleep in my own bed at night.

  • Study Guides:  I didn't realize how important study guides were until I was told by a professor that I wouldn't get one.  I have a study strategy that works extremely well and it requires a study guide, so I was pretty sure that professor just failed me.  Luckily he changed his tune, but I am SO thankful for the professors who put a study guide together for us.  

I have so many more things, but 5 is a nice, round number that I think is appropriate to stop at.  What are you guys thankful for this year?  I hope all my American readers have a great Thanksgiving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment