Since my post on Justin Bieber was so popular, I have decided to tackle yet another celebrity disappointment, Miley Cyrus.
You may wonder why I'm getting involved in this argument. The controversy over Miley is a bit more...murky than that of The Biebs. While Justin's actions lately have been unlawful and everyone would agree they're wrong, Miley's new look is a little less black and white. (Actually, it's mostly white ;P) Moral issues these days have been so twisted and deformed by relativism that really, anything goes. What have our people become?
Miley made her debut on the Disney channel with the show "Hannah Montana". I remember her getting some bad rap from some people I knew about her "pretending" to be two people. Now that I'm older, I realize that those girls were stupid, because it was just a show. Everyone watching it knew that the dual personality was just a part of the plot line. However, once Hannah Montana ended, Miley's music career took off. She was a Disney kid that made it big. Personally, I really enjoyed her music. I still listen to the older songs like "When I look at you", "The Climb", "Stay", etc.
As the years went by, Miley got darker. Her songs "Can't be Tamed" and "Who owns my heart" are perfect examples of this. The music videos are extremely dark and have an evil undertone. I don't think anyone really suspected what was coming next.
I first noticed Miley's transformation when she chopped off her gorgeous brown hair and dyed it blond. I hated the new do, but I took no notice of her. Then I saw a headline on "People" magazine that said her father, Billy Ray, had stopped divorce proceedings to help Miley recover from drugs. When her song "We can't Stop" was released on Vevo, I went and watched the music video after reading a couple reviews. I was appalled. When "Wrecking Ball" was released, I heard that she was "making out with a sledgehammer". I'm not even sure why I watched that video. Miley's sweet innocence had morphed into a horror. I couldn't believe my eyes.
Most of my readers have probably seen these two music videos, so I won't go into any details, but I'd like to point something out. Miley is the perfect example of what the end product of relativism is. We say that we need to "follow our hearts", "don't let people judge you", and other free-spirited sayings. While some of this is true, today's culture takes it too far.
To me, "follow your heart" means that I need to have dreams and pursue them in a reasonable way. If I want to graduate and go to law school, I need to put in huge amounts of work and effort to do so. If I want to reach a certain level of musicianship, then I need to spend more than five hours a week with my violin. I also need to obey the laws of the land and keep my head on straight. What Miley has done is rebelled against all moral standards. She's offended many people with her new image. But all she's going to do is flip 'em the bird and continue on her path to destruction!
If I'm ticking off any Miley fans out there, I apologize, but seriously, wake up America! If we accept this baseness and low self-respect, we'll all end up like Miley! If we continue to accept the level of inappropriateness that Miley is flaunting, we'll all end up as sleezey tramps with no respect for ourselves.
My call to everyone is this: pull up your pants, put on a shirt, and for the love of God have some self-respect! God didn't intend for people to be so loose. How do you think He feels? He created Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber. Do you think he's happy about how they're acting? Your body is the temple of God! Respect it!
No comments:
Post a Comment